Monday, March 30, 2009

"This one's for the girls"...

So I think it's time girls, that we take a look in the mirror. Now before you jump up to go and check to see if you need a makeup "touch-up" or if your hair needs a slight "re-styling," let me explain what I mean.
   I'm not talking about that mirror which we look in every day and see a pair of eyes staring back at us in either satisfaction...or disapproval, I'm talking about the mirror of our hearts.
   Don't deny it, all of us at some point in our lives have been discontent with our bodies...perhaps we still are. Maybe our hair's too thin, our feet too long, maybe we have "thunder-thighs" :D and our nose is too big, maybe we have "more rolls than the local bakery," or perhaps you have one elf ear, and one that's rounded. (a gift that God decided to bless yours truly with :) The list is endless, but honestly, why does it have to be so hard to be happy with the person that we are? 
Trust me, I've gone through this question so many times in my head, but still, every time I think I'm over it, I turn my head around and see just one more thing that I wish was different.
   The thing is though, every time we wish for something different, every time we complain about how we look, we're really slapping God in the face. 
God created man after His own image (Gen. 1:27)
"Then God saw everything that He had made and indeed, it was VERY good." (Gen. 1:31)
I think a huge thing that we often tend to forget, is that God's standard of beauty, is completely opposite of what the world tells us. According to the world, in order to be beautiful, we need to be 5'7", 120 pounds, flawless skin, long, thick shiny hair, size 2 waist, long eyelashes, and the list goes on and on and on and on and on. :P (Just look at any "beauty" magazine or any hair or makeup commercial....) 
   To God, in order to be beautiful, "Do not let your adorning be external - the braiding of hair and putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear - but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious." (I Peter 3 :3-4)
   God made each and every one of us JUST the way He wanted us to be. Now it's not wrong to want to be pretty and get dressed-up...things like that (I love it personally :) ) but if we're becoming so into it, that we start seeing the world's standard of beautiful to be more attractive than God's, and becoming discontent with the special person that God made us to be, then we're wrong.
   So I challenge you, alongside myself, that the next time we're tempted to complain about something concerning our bodies; let's remember that God loves a woman who follows after Him, whose life is filled with the joy of being a daughter of the King, a woman who serves others with a quiet and gentle spirit...to Him, that's more beautiful than any picture or any idea that any magazine, poster, or commercial may portray as "perfect" and "beautiful."

So what will it be girls? The worlds "beautiful?" or God's BEAUTIFUL.

"Charm is deceitful and beauty is passing, but a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised." (Prov. 31:30)

11 comments:

  1. you're the perfect person to write this: because you're super beautiful-on the inside as well as the outside :)

    Trust me, I know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. trust me...I don't know what to say now :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. cool post, it's hard to be content with yourself sometimes eh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny...I've been working on this myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow naomi, u dealt with this issue really well! this is a big problem around and within! i tend to struggle with it. u put it just right :)
    <3 Kayla

    ps.I like the 'thunder-thighs' term.:D

    ReplyDelete
  6. awww...thanks Kayla <3
    It's kind of nice knowing that you're not the only one struggling with this sort of thing!
    <3 Naomi

    P.S. I haven't forgotten about our get-together :D..I just need to find an open date is all k?

    ReplyDelete
  7. ya i can't wait to do it!!!
    super excited...us 2 t/g = amazing times :)
    <3 Kayla
    ps.so when??

    ReplyDelete
  8. are you working this Saturday like in the morning/early afternoon?

    I'll have to check to make sure its ok with mom, but I think it should be fine..maybe brunch or something? It's totally up to you :)

    <3 Naomi

    ReplyDelete