Thursday, March 12, 2009

reality...

Why does it have to be so hard for us, as a younger generation, to stand up for what we believe in? I mean, so many of us have been raised in Christian homes, memorized scripture as young ones, gone to church every Sunday, attended catechism and youth group, but yet we're afraid...afraid of what?
Quite honestly, I believe, that so many of us are "Sunday Christians." We go through all the motions like a perfect example of what a son or daughter should be, but really...let's be honest with ourselves here, do we really and truly love Jesus Christ with all our hearts? Is He really first in our lives?
If we're doing the whole "church thing" because Mom and Dad expect it from us, then there's absolutely no possible way that we'll truly be able to answer honestly with conviction questions concerning our faith in God. Sure, maybe we'll have a scripture verse or catechism answer we once memorized, slip off the ends of our tongues...but is that really enough? Are we really going to stand out and be different to the world if there's no godly example to follow, no heart and soul involved?
You have to understand that I'm not writing this as the "accusing" party. Everything above, was once me. I know what it's like first hand because I was in that very same position and to be quite honest with you, I still don't like "sticking out." I would much rather be the follower rather than the leader, but I think that as faith grows and matures, "standing out" and speaking up won't be so hard. As true Christians, we should all be able to openly testify of God's love and mercy that's been bestowed upon each one of us, and just thinking about all those blessings we've recieved through Him, should make us want to shout out and sing His praises :)

So I challenge you, as well as myself to ask ourselves the question: " Do I really believe in Christ, and love Him enough, that it's ok for me to be "different", so that I actually CHOOSE to be "different?"

2 comments:

  1. Dear Naomi,

    First of all- Amen! to this post and I pray that God will give us all the grace and courage to testify of His saving love.

    Congratulations on joining the 'old fashioned' blogging world! You can be sure I will be coming here to visit often... (and I like your playlist!)
    Keep up the encouraging, honest, and challenging posts... they are good to read.

    Love.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete